Pricing for both portrait styles, full color or two color head and shoulder portraits, can be seen below. Please email Clay through his website for pricing for other artwork. More examples can be seen in the portraits folder on facebook, or at ClaytonJamesThompson.com.
The tradition of having a family portrait painted each year and then using the image for greeting cards is such a fun one! It does require a little advance planning though, to have the portrait several weeks before a holiday in order to get your cards printed and mailed in time. For non-holiday events (weddings, new babies etc.) just make sure to give yourself about two weeks for the painting to be completed, a week to receive it in the mail, a couple weeks to have cards printed if you're doing that, and then a week or two to get them in the mail and out to friends. So, that's about a month and half ahead of when you'd like people to hold the cards in their hands and squeal with delight:) Of course, there's always a little wiggle room in there too, if you've got less time, just shoot us an email. The greetings for cards are painted separately and added digitally so the painting can be framed and hung.
If you'd like to order a portrait, here's the process:
- Email Clay [AT] ClaytonJamesThompson.com and describe what you have in mind. Include the number of people, any additional details such as setting or items you'd like included. Indicate the date you'd need it finished by. Clay will respond with a price quote and an estimate of when he can finish it.
- Next you'll email him a whole bunch of pictures of you and your family, with flattering, clear shots of each person's face. Try to pick photos that really show that individual's personality. And send multiple shots of each person.
- You may email back and forth with Clay a bit, or even chat on the phone, until he has a really solid idea of what you're looking for. You'll send 50% down to get the painting started. Then he'll do some sketches until he comes up with the right design, create a sketch of that, and then the final painting.
- You'll receive the digital image first, and can use that to send to the printers to print your announcements or cards (we don't do that part, but there are lots of companies that will do a great job for you). You retain copyright of the image and can reproduce it as many times as you like. Clay will likely only ask that he can occasionally use the image on his website or in promotional stuff, which you are free to decline. Tax, shipping and insurance will be included with the final 50% payment.
- Finally, you'll receive the original painting via certified, insured mail, ready to be framed, admired and cherished.
Pricing: For a 10.25 x 14 inches detailed (in a setting) portrait of two people or less it's $575. Add $135 for every additional person ($710 for three people, $845 for four, $980 for five etc.). Email for a quote on portraits of more than five people.
The 5x7 inch two-color, head and shoulder portraits are $235 for the first person, and $215 for each additional person (can be two separate portraits or two people in the same painting). Again, email for more than five people. You can also print cards from these. Clay can arrange them digitally into one image.
Shipping, handling and insurance is generally pretty reasonable within the states, usually around $20-30. We package the painting ourselves, secure them to a piece of wood or masonite and mail them in a padded envelope. We always insure the paintings.
If you'd like to see more examples of Clay's illustrated portraits, all of the ones I've mentioned on the blog are under the Portraits and Commissions tag. You can also view his facebook page, and illustration website. You'll love working with Clay and I can't wait to see how YOUR portrait turns out!