I was flipping through a magazine at my mother-in-law's house and came across a "happiness quiz." I used to love those seventeen magazine quizzes! The quiz was a series of twentyfive statements that you were supposed to rank from zero to four (never feel this way to always feel this way) and then tally up your score. Skimming through the statements, I thought, If I ever get around to meditating daily (it's one of those things I really want to do, but it keeps not happening...) this list would be the perfect to think about! Doesn't it make you feel great just reading it?
- I know what my purpose in life is.
- I am excited about learning new skills and developing my talents.
- My life is in balance physically.
- My life is in balance emotionally.
- My life is in balance spiritually.
- When my life feels out of control, I choose healthy behaviors to re-center and renew.
- I am aware and enjoy living in the moment.
- I have fulfilling relationships with family and friends.
- I have fulfilling intimate relationships in my life.
- Humor, laughter, and playfulness are a big part of my daily life.
- My partnerships (work and personal) are fairly and equally balanced.
- I find positive ways to deal with stress (i.e. exercising, talking, meditating etc.)
- I exercise appropriate control over the things that I can in my life.
- I live life with an attitude of gratitude.
- I live my life with passion and joy.
- I have exciting dreams and aspirations to look forward to.
- I am an optimistic person.
- I perform acts of service daily.
- I have a strong faith which sustains me throughout my life.
- I enjoy hearing other people's insights and points of view, even when they are different from my own.
- I find it easy to forgive others when I have been hurt.
- I apologize and make amends quickly when I have hurt someone else.
- I am good at keeping events in my life in perspective.
- I live my life with integrity and honesty is all of my dealings.
- Kindness and compassion are virtues that I practice daily.
There are twenty five statements. So, I was thinking how great it would be to choose one every two weeks to really focus on. Write it on the mirror, tape it to the steering wheel, write it on your hand, just think about it and try to make it real every day. Think how wonderful you'd feel if you looked in the mirror every morning and said, "I'm an optimistic person!"
I've always considered myself a lucky person and have often said so. Consequently, I seem to win a lot of things, find money on the ground, score great parking spaces and just generally feel like a lucky duck most of the time. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe I got luckier the more I thought about it. What do you think?
Do you meditate? Spent contemplative alone time? Practice any sort of purposeful thinking or postivity? Or do you think it's a bunch of hooey? I totally believe in the power of positive thought, meditation, the power of words etc. etc. I just often find myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off without time to even take a shower, let alone sit quietly and contemplate my emotional state. I guess maybe I just need to try it in smaller bites, right? Happy thoughts while showering, driving, cooking dinner, practicing being present and happy with whatever I'm doing. Little mini-meditations.