Look closely; do you see it in my hair? On my face? Shirt? You should have seen the ceiling and the windows (on both walls!) Have you ever tried to clean fermented fruit puree from a textured, white ceiling? It's not for the faint-hearted.
But despite the mess, this was a totally worthwhile experiment. We LOVE all the new flavors! We're going through our kombucha much faster now:) Here are the flavors we tried; I'll bold our favorites.
- Mango puree (added about 1 part mango puree to 2 parts kombucha)
- Strawberry puree (same proportions as the mango)
- Ginger (cut about 2" of root into matchsticks. This is the only one we haven't tried, but I'm SO excited for it!)
- Maple syrup (this one was less exciting, but I think because the seal wasn't tight enough so it wasn't as fizzy)
- Mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. I filled the jar about 1/3 full.)
- Lemon (half a lemon, cut into wedges)
Okay, I guess they were all my favorites, except for the flat maple syrup and the ginger that I haven't tried yet. Lemon was really, really delicious. Next I think we're going to try watermelon! And we'll be opening them in the sink, under a large bowl from now on!
PS Kombucha Kamp is a great resource I've been returning to over and over.
PPS I tried the ginger and it was awesome!! I also made a batch of kombucha with rooibos chai and did a second ferment with fresh ginger. Oh my. I think it's my new favorite!