I've had this powerful stuff brewing on my counter for about a week and a half and I couldn't wait to try it out! Well, not on myself, but on some unsuspecting person with a cold coming on. Truthfully I was a little afraid of its awesome power! The recipe is SUPER simple, belying its cold-fighting super powers. If you want to mix up a batch yourself, here's what you do.
- White onion
- Ginger root
- Hot pepper (I used Habanero)
Fill a quart jar 3/4 full with the chopped stuff, then fill the jar the rest of the way with raw, apple cider vinegar, leaving an inch to a half inch of space. Shake it once or twice a day for two weeks. Strain out the chopped stuff. The liquid will keep for a super long time in your cupboard, so make a big batch! The woman who shared the recipe with me uses it for herself, her daughters and her grandkids and swears by it! Clay was the first to try it, before the full two weeks were even up. Here is a direct quote from him, "Habanero peppers?! What were you thinking!? My whole face practically melted off!" So, on that recommendation I tried some the next morning (who wouldn't?). My response involved involuntary drooling and maybe some dry-heaving into the sink. So, based on that experience, here is my advice if you choose to try this (which, I do totally recommend, by the way; it has already cleared up a gum infection and headed off a sore throat!):
- Maybe habanero peppers was a little overboard, try jalapenos.
- This is a recipe, not a prescription, feel free to mess with the ingredients. I plan on doing a batch with half as much horseradish and hot pepper. The stuff only works if you take it, so make sure it's somewhat palatable.
- The directions say to take 1-2 ounces several times a day, I found a regular kitchen teaspoon full gave me great results (minus the drooling).
- Chase it with a glass of milk (not water) and a piece of bread, which you should have ready beforehand.
- Be brave! The burn only lasts a minute:)
Do you have a tried and tested natural remedy for winter colds?