With yards and yards of that thick, woven fabric I got, I decided that a hammock for the backyard would be the perfect project. As far as sewing projects go, it was a piece of cake, just one big rectangle.
I got a long length of pipe at Home Depot, which I had them cut in two pieces. I have to admit, I felt kind of tough buying, and cutting, metal pipe. I also got four of those little rubber stoppers that grandmas put on their walkers. Didn't feel quite as tough buying those. They were for the ends of the pipe to keep the rope from rubbing against it and fraying.
It took a few tries to get it hung just right, but now it is bliss; dappled shade, a view of the phlox, a constant bird symphony. I have a feeling it will get a lot of use this summer.